Some short thoughts about blog prizes

Posted on Updated on

Over the last few weeks I and my tiny corner of the interweb have been absolutely blown away to be nominated for a couple of different blog awards. It’s beyond super lovely when anyone likes the blog enough to comment favourably, let alone nominate me for any sort of award. So, thank-you Anita Chapman, Sue Fortin, Clare Wartnaby and Juliet Greenwood. Great bloggers all and freely recommended, particularly to those of you with an interest in writing.

Both the awards, The Versatile Blogger Award and The Leibster Award, ask recipients to do certain things in accepting the award. You’re either asked to blog on a particular subject (7 things about yourself for the Versatile Blogger) or link back to your nominator and make a certain number of nominations yourself. Now I wouldn’t put those requests (which you are entirely at liberty to refuse or ignore) in the same category as the sorts of internet chain letters and the like I had a little rant  about a few weeks ago. I think these awards can offer a benevolent and practical way for small bloggers to support each other and encourage a little bit more web traffic to one another’s sites.

However, I won’t be participating in the recipient’s end of these awards. It’s not because I don’t appreciate them. It might actually because I’m a tad miserablist as a personality type. I want you, my small in number, but much valued, readers, to know that if I recommend a site or a blog it’s simply because I think it’s great, and not because I’ve commited myself to recommending 17 blogs in return for accepting an award from someone else. I also enjoy the individuality of my little blog. It is a corner of the internet that is very much devoted to whatever I happen to be musing on at any given time. It doesn’t have much theme beyond the fact that it’s all stuff I thought. It’s a little self-obsessed of me, but I am slightly reluctant to post on a topic because I’ve been instructed to do so. Perhaps it’s a little odd of me, but I am protective of the eclectic and spontaneous nature of the subjects I talk about here.

So if I’ve linked you to this post because you kindly nominated me for an award, thank-you. I really deeply appreciate you liking the blog and taking the time to tell your own followers about it. If I don’t accept and pass on the award it’s not because I’m not grateful, and it’s definitely not personal. I’ve simply decided to keep both my posts, and my blog recommendations sparing, independent and heartfelt. And thank-you again. Yes. Thank-you. Really, you are kind.

7 thoughts on “Some short thoughts about blog prizes

hollyannegetspoetic said:
    November 27, 2011 at 7:47 pm

I quite agree.
    My experience is slightly different, though linked in a way…
    I have not been nominated for anything myself, but there does seem to be a thing in the weird and sometimes wonderful sub-section of poetry blogs, where an anthology type blog will leave complimentary feedback and then invite one to submit half a dozen poems to their site… I tend to decline such offers on the basis that I want people to visit MY page to read my most recent musings on cheese or abusive relationships or moles in moleholes… It is my own little piece of the interweb and I am always happily astounded when people take the time to visit and read what I’ve waffled on about.
    Perhaps I am just not good at sharing. 😉
    (Still not enough cats though…)

Clare Wartnaby said:
    November 27, 2011 at 9:20 pm

I completely understand your view, Alison. One of the reasons why I went ahead and nominated you even though you’d just been done (!) was because I wanted to recommend blogs I genuinely enjoyed. If I couldn’t do that, I wouldn’t have done it. I also rather put the emphasis on there being no need to do anything about it when I left my nomination messages… I enjoyed being able to link back to Anita’s blog though (I love it) and had a couple of others that I felt I’d noticed but didn’t seem to have been picked up on by many people, so I was genuinely eager to name them too.

But all the same, I totally take your point, and I relished your previous post re the Face Book pressure to update your status to order… Grrrr. Very sorry to have even put you in mind of them – they always fill me with horror. (I had one recently that said ‘I’m asking all my friends to do this, and I think I know which ones will and which ones won’t’… Hmmm.)

ATB, Clare

alisonmay responded:
      November 27, 2011 at 9:32 pm

No need at all to be sorry Clare. I do think these sorts of blog awards are several orders of magnitude better than those horrendous status updates, and I’m genuinely over the moon that you like the blog enough to recommend it. The award is a lovely friendly gesture and I do appreciate it. Thank-you again x

Clare Wartnaby said:
      November 27, 2011 at 9:58 pm

Ooops. Reply in haste, repent at leisure… realise what I wrote above misses your point though, which is that it’s the principle of the thing…! (Shall I stop cluttering up your blog now?!) 🙂

alisonmay responded:
        November 27, 2011 at 10:25 pm

You clutter as much as you like. Kick your shoes off, pop your feet up, leave a mug-shaped ring on the coffee table. You’re more than welcome 🙂

hollyannegetspoetic said:
    November 27, 2011 at 11:01 pm

I have just had the honour of having my blog added to someone’s “blogroll” – I didn’t even know what that was until I researched it! Another way of showing people we enjoy what they do… Made me very happy. 🙂

[…] for similar reasons that I’m not really a fan of blog awardy things, which I explained back here. However, this week I was tagged in […]