If I could be anyone, I’d be..

Posted on Updated on

In honour of (and blatant advertising for) the rather lovely Talli Roland’s new novel Watching Willow Watts being launched today, I’m hopping on the “If I could be anyone..” bandwagon. In the story Willow attracts public attention by impersonating Marilyn Monroe, so today bloggers all over the Interweb are considering who they would be if they could be anyone at all.

So who would I be? Well, the honest answer is, probably that I’d just be me. I live what is, all things considered, a pretty charmed life. But that’s boringly well-balanced as well as boringly boring, so putting that to one side, who would I like to have a go at being, just as an alternative? I’d like to pretend that this was a tricky choice and that I considered a wide range of beautiful, intelligent and worthy people, but I so didn’t. There was only ever one choice.

River Song.

Alex Kingston as River Song

River Song is just brilliant. She’s got that hair. She’s intelligent. She’s foxy. She’s fearless and she gets to snog the Doctor. What’s not to love?

And ok, so River is currently in prison for murder, but she is not the sort to let that get her down, so I don’t think we should either. I do know, just for the record, that River Song is a fictional character, but actually that just gives me more reasons to love her (and to love Steven Moffat for inventing her). She’s a independent-minded action heroine, who isn’t size 0 or aged about 17, and she’s on mainstream British TV. Again, if you put aside the murdering, she’s a top class gold starred role model for little girls everywhere. Yay River Song!

Ooooh… you remember all that gubbins about three paragraphs ago about how I could only think of one possible choice, well I’ve thought of someone else. All of a sudden this game is hard. Ok, I’m going to have to award a runners-up prize.

In a very close 2nd place… Elizabeth I!

Miranda Richardson as Queenie

Now I don’t mean actual Queen Elizabeth I. She was forever having to worry about cousins plotting against her and Spaniards trying to invade. That all sounds a bit of a bother. I mean Queenie as played by Miranda Richardson in Blackadder series 2. The screwing up of her face if she thought she might not get her own way. The “Off with his head” in the tone of a sulky toddler. The occasional bursts of random flirtaciousness. I think I might pretty much be modelling my personality on Queenie. I find it very disheartening that I’m hardly ever allowed to have anyone executed.

So that’s who I’d be. And now I’m away to fret slightly about why I don’t idolise any real people. Why don’t you hop over here and see about downloading lovely Talli’s lovely book?

10 thoughts on “If I could be anyone, I’d be..

Talli Roland said:
    September 14, 2011 at 12:29 pm

I love your choices! I was wondering if River Song was a real person or not until you clarified for me! Put that down to me not being a native.

Thanks so much for taking part (and for the blatant advertising, lol!). xx

Gina Dickerson said:
    September 14, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Brilliant! Really enjoyed this post. Made me laugh out loud!

alisonmay responded:
    September 14, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Oooh, yes, for non- Dr Who viewers that would be disturbing. Oops!
    River is a totally fictional character: http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/characters/River_Song#image-2

Rebecca Emin (@RebeccaEmin) said:
    September 14, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Love it. I think those are also the first redheads I have seen during this launch so brownie points to you :o)

Kath said:
    September 15, 2011 at 1:25 pm

I don’t watch Doctor Who so when I saw the pic, I thought, ooh Alex Kingston – yes, she’s cool. That’d be a great person to aspire to be. However, the murder rap aside, River does sound pretty awesome, too. 😉

alisonmay responded:
      September 15, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Alex Kingston is very cool (the hair! the hair!). If you’re a fan of hers it’s worth checking her out in Dr Who, not least cos she looks like she’s having the most amazing fun, playing a part almost entirely made up of running, shooting stuff and delivering the highest camp most innuendo strewn dialogue you can imagine.

Signs said:
    September 23, 2011 at 1:36 pm

This has got me thinking, and realising: I would really like to be Doctor Who. But on the other hand Queenie probably has more fun.

Helen Harron said:
    September 29, 2011 at 2:13 pm

If we’re celebrating redheads and ignoring the fact of being a murderess (and slightly unhinged) can I be Alice? (watch the Luther DVD 😉

[…] Doctor Who! The Weeping Angels (by far the best baddie of the New Who era) are back! River Song (who I want to be when I grow up) is back! Amy and Rory are going! This may all be too much to cope […]

In which I muse on all things sticky « Alison May said:
    September 10, 2015 at 7:16 am

[…] now scandalously stolen my very original  (and not at all nicked from Talli Roland when we did this) idea. Outrageous […]